Extra Helpings Distribution Volunteer 2023
The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano is looking for volunteers to provide support at the Richmond EH distribution location. The Extra Helpings (EH) program serves patients referred by the Contra Costa County Health Department. These individuals and families receive supplemental food including fresh produce and shelf-stable goods on the 2nd & 4th Friday of every month. Serving EH clients requires following Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines to maintain client confidentiality. Any individual interested in volunteering for EH must either be HIPAA certified or willing to take a 1.5 to 2-hour online certification class provided by the Food Bank.
The EH volunteer assists in setting up tables, bagging produce, interacting with clients and the community, sharing Food Bank resources and information, distributing the food, and post-distribution clean up. Current volunteers are encouraged to apply. Are you interested in using your organizational and interpersonal skills to support the work of your local Food Bank? We are looking for volunteers who can make a 6-month commitment to participate in EH for 3.5 to 4-hours twice a month.
If you want to make a difference in the fight against local hunger and you meet the required qualifications listed below, then we would like to talk to you!
Volunteer Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Set up tables, bag produce, distribute food, and breakdown/clean up.
- Interact with clients.
- Assist in loading food into client vehicles.
- Interact with the community and share and promote available Food Bank resources.
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Interest in the mission of the Food Bank.
- HIPAA certification. Must show proof of current certification or be willing to acquire certification through the Food Bank.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Customer service skills.
- Ability to stand for 2 hours at a time.
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs.
- Comfortable interacting with diverse clients. Sensitive to the needs of others.
- Flexible, reliable.
- Interest in a long-term commitment is preferred.
- Must be at last 18 years of age.
- No court-ordered community service applicants will be accepted.
- Ability to work outdoors year-round.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: